Lemony, crunchy, vitamin-packed, and low-carb, this beautiful and versatile slaw will make it on your “favorite recipes” list.
When I came upon the recipe that inspired this adaptation, I was looking for a low-carb and healthy alternative to sticky rice as a base for my Tuna Poke recipe (coming soon!). I wanted something crunchy, healthy and with a flavor that would complement my poke recipe, rather than overpower it.
You will not find any mayo in this recipe. Instead, it’s lemony and light with a hint of mint, a great alternative to the mayo-drenched, soggy cabbage version that’s so ubiquitous at backyard barbecues and park picnics.
I call this a detox slaw because of all the beneficial ingredients in this recipe believed to refresh the mind and cleanse the body. I love how good this dish makes me feel! Whether lemons, broccoli, or olive oil do anything other than providing lots of essential vitamins, minerals, fiber and healthy fat is up for debate, but I can tell you that my mind feels so refreshed with the lemon and mint in this recipe.
I like to buy the broccoli slaw pre-made from the grocery store. It usually has some red cabbage and carrots in it, which is great for nutrition and color. I buy the Brussels sprouts whole and use my Cuisinart food processor with the slicing blade to make thin slices. I like having slices and shreds in the slaw so that it’s obvious what’s in it. I think it looks really cool too! 🙂
If you have a food processor, you can make this recipe in just a few minutes.
I hope you enjoy this low-carb, detox slaw at your next gathering!
If you make this dish, I want to see! Tag your pic with #basilandoregano on Instagram. Also, don’t forget to leave a comment and rating below. Thanks!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (see notes)
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice (three lemons)
- Zest of two lemons
- 2½ tablespoons Splenda, sugar or (about ½ teaspoon stevia)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon coarse Dijon mustard
- 12-ounce bag of fresh broccoli slaw
- 12 ounces Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1 tart apple, peeled and shredded
- ¼ cup chopped shallot
- ⅛ cup fresh mint leaves
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, Sweetener of your choice, and mustard until well combined. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli slaw, Brussels sprouts, apple, and shallot. Stir in the dressing to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Shred the mint and mix in right before serving.
To compensate for the reduction in oil, I've increased the lemon juice by one lemon, the mustard by 1 tablespoon and the sweetener by ½ tablespoon.
Nutrition is calculated using a no calorie sweetener.
Recipe adapted from Lemony Brussels Sprout Slaw – Mark Bittman, NYTimes